At Samsung’s Unpacked event, Samsung also took the chance to show off its rumoured virtual reality headset, the Gear VR. Samsung’s first foray into virtual reality, the Gear VR headset is the product of a partnership between Samsung and renowned VR pioneers Oculus, makers of the Oculus Rift VR headset.
Offering a 96-degree field of view, the Gear VR offers exceptionally smooth 60fps motion, with a motion to photon latency of less than 20ms. To use it, you’d need to insert a Galaxy Note 4 into the headset, and connect the two devices via USB 1.1 (yes, 1.1).
Four sensors – accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetic and proximity – all work in tandem to create an immersive virtual reality world for the user. The Gear VR also packs a physical touchpad, Back button and volume key for easy access to users. The Gear VR is also completely wireless, and is made from lightweight materials to ensure greater comfort for users.
For content, Samsung’s partnership with Oculus gives complete access to the Oculus Store, while the included 16GB microSD card is pre-loaded with a collection of 360-degree videos and 3D movie trailers from major studios. On top of that, there are some really cool content coming to Gear VR users as well, including:
- Marvel’s Avengers; Age of Ultron offers Samsung Gear VR users to have exclusive access to Tony Stark’s Lab inside the all new Avengers Tower.
- IMAX offers samples of Hollywood and documentary films in a virtual theatre with Samsung Gear VR ? the next best thing to a live IMAX experience.
- DreamWorks VR from DreamWorks Animation allows Samsung Gear VR users to interact and laugh with DreamWorks characters and content in a whole new way like never before.
- Legendary’s Pacific Rim Jaeger Pilot is an immersive content experience that puts viewers at center of the action with Samsung Gear VR.
- Vevo offers more than 100,000 HD music videos, live concert events and original programming can be enjoyed in an immersive, full-screen theater experience on Samsung Gear VR.
In addition, the VR Game mode also lets you immerse yourself with games specifically tailored to take advantage of the Gear VR’s unique virtual reality, 360-degree offering with new game content, such as Protocol Zero (working title) from DENA.
The Samsung Gear VR will only be available via Samsung’s online channel and selective carriers sometime this year, in Frost White. It is highly unlikely that the Gear VR will be making its way to Malaysia.