Twitter has put up a blog post that serves as another reminder to keep apps as updated as possible. In the post, the social media company said that some of its Android user base were exposed to a vulnerability. This would have allowed malware in your device to access private Twitter data that’s on the device.
According to Twitter, this was mainly an issue for Android versions 8 and 9 (Oreo and Pie). The company says that 96% of its user base have already gotten a security patch that fixes the problem. For the remaining 4%, the company has issued a fix to keep its users safe.
Of course, if you’re one of the 4%, being safe entails getting the new update for the Twitter app on Android. The company is also making sure you get it before you can use the app again, as well as sending in-app notifications to anyone who could have been vulnerable.
For what it’s worth, Twitter says it has no evidence that the vulnerability was exploited. So unless you get whatever available updates, be it for the app or Android in general, you should be fine. But all in all, this is just another reminder to keep apps as updated as possible.