Here’s what we know about the Suicide Squad 2 (currently titled The Suicide Squad) so far: for starters, David Ayer, the director of the first movie will not be returning to the helm. Instead, the ship will be captained by the creative mind behind Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, James Gunn, in what is reported to be a soft reboot of sorts. Also, Idris Elba has been brought in to play Deadshot after Warner Bros and Will Smith mutually parted ways.
Now, Collider reports that they’ve learned which characters are expected to fill out the rest of the squad. Let’s take a look.
Peacemaker AKA Christopher Smith (rumoured to be played by Dave Bautista)
- A peace-loving man who’s so driven by his cause, that he’s willing to use extreme methods to achieve his goal.
- Extremely fit and possesses advanced military weaponry.
Ratcatcher AKA Otis Flannegan
- Literally has the ability to communicate with and train rats. Sounds ridiculous, I know.
- Been in and out of jail throughout the years for assault, robbery, and kidnapping.
- Uses cyanide gases and gas guns.
King Shark AKA Nanaue
- A humanoid shark whose father is the ‘King of All Sharks’.
- His abilities include superhuman strength and durability, sharp claws and shark-like teeth, enhanced senses and sonar capabilities, underwater physiology and being completely badass.
Polka-Dot Man — yes, you read that right –AKA Abner Krill
- He grows multi-coloured polka-dots on his body which can be transformed into various weapons and devices.
Sources also tell Jeff Snieder of Collider, that the new Suicide Squad script has Deadshot as the father figure of sorts to Ratcatcher, but the role still remains open to actors of all nationalities and ethnicities.
And while a lot of it sounds like Warner Bros and DC are scraping the bottom of the barrel and choosing to introduce nonsensical characters, we have to remember that James Gunn took a talking raccoon and a tree with limited vocabulary and turned them into some of the most beloved characters in geekdom. It’s safe to assume that he will be doing the same with the aforementioned characters as well.
Margot Robbie’s involvement in the project is still unclear at this time.
The Suicide Squad is set to hit the big screens on 6 August 2021.