If you are using an iPhone, Mac or Apple Watch, it’s time to check your device for an update. The update brings the much talked-about portrait mode to iPhone 7 Plus’ camera with iOS 10.1, improvements to Mac devices on macOS 10.12.1, and some small changes to the Apple Watch with watchOS 3.1.
First up, for those of you who recently bought the iPhone 7 Plus, you’ll definitely want to update to iOS 10.1. As mentioned in the public beta release last month, the update brings portrait mode to your camera, allowing you to capture pictures with depth effect.
Available via an over the air update, iOS 10.1 also brings a bunch of bug fixes and improvements to other compatible iOS devices like improved public transport directions for Japan, new option on Messages to replay bubble and full screen effects, some improvements to the Apple Watch app, and more. The full log is shown below:
Camera and Photos
- Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)
- People names in the Photos app are saved in iCloud backups
- Improved the display of wide color gamut photos in the grid views of the Photos app
- Fixes an issue where opening the Camera app would show a blurred or flashing screen for some users
- Fixes an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
- Transit support for every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line, as well as local bus systems for Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya
- Sign-based transit navigation including layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations
- Transit fare comparison when viewing alternative transit routes
- New option to replay bubble and full screen effects
- Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
- Fixes an issue that could lead to contact names appearing incorrectly in Messages
- Addresses an issue where Messages could open to a white screen
- Addresses an issue that could prevent the report junk option from displaying with unknown senders
- Fixes an issue where videos captured and sent in the Messages app could be missing audio
- Adds distance and average pace to workout summaries in the Activity app for outdoor wheelchair run pace and outdoor wheelchair walk pace
- Fixes issues that may have prevented Music playlists from syncing to Apple Watch
- Addresses an issue that was preventing invitations and data to appear in Activity Sharing
- Fixes an issue that was allowing Activity Sharing to update over cellular when manually disabled
- Resolves an issue that was causing some third-party apps to crash when inputting text
Other improvements and fixes
- Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Improves AirPlay Mirroring performance when waking a device from sleep
- Fixes an issue where playback would not work for iTunes purchased content when the “Show iTunes Purchases” setting is turned off
- Fixes an issue where certain selfie apps and face filters used with the FaceTime HD Camera on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus did not display a live preview
- Fixes an issue in Health where individual strokes are converted to separate characters when using the Chinese handwriting keyboard
- Improves performance of sharing websites from Safari to Messages
- Fixes an issue in Safari that caused web previews in tab view to not display correctly
- Fixes an issue that caused certain Mail messages to be reformatted with very small text
- Fixes an issue that caused some HTML email to be formatted incorrectly
- Fixes an issue that in some cases caused the search field to disappear in Mail
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Today View Widgets from updating when launched
- Fixes an issue where Weather widget sometimes failed to load data
- Fixes an issue on iPhone 7 where Home Button click settings would not appear in search results
- Fixes an issue that prevented spam alert extensions from blocking calls
- Resolves an issue that could prevent alarm sounds from going off
- Fixes an issue where audio playback via Bluetooth would cause the Taptic engine to stop providing feedback for some users
- Resolves an issue preventing some users from restoring from iCloud Backup
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
As for macOS 10.12.1, the update is available for all macOS Sierra users. Available through the Mac App Store, it brings the usual bug fixes and improvements, as well as adds an automatic smart album in Photos for Depth Effect images taken on the iPhone 7 Plus.
Other notable changes include improvements to the security of your Mac, improves reliability of Auto Unlock with Apple Watch, improves security and stability in Safari, improves compatibility of Microsoft Office when using iCloud Desktop and Documents, fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from updating when using a Microsoft Exchange account, and fixes an issue that caused text to sometimes paste incorrectly when using Universal Clipboard.
Finally, last but not least, Apple also released watchOS 3.1 update to the Apple Watch. It is a relatively small update that brings the usual bug fixes and improvements, as well as the same new option to replay bubbles and full-screen effects in Messages found on the latest iOS 10.1 update.
Other changes include fixes an issue that could cause the notification for Timer complete to be delivered twice, resolves an issue that could prevent Apple Watch Series 2 from fully charging, resolves an issue where Activity ring may disappear from the watch face, and more.
All three updates should be available right now, so check your compatible devices for a software update.