As part of Zynga’s ongoing cost reduction plan that was announced in November, the company has decided to reduce the number of games in its portfolio with the culling of eleven of its games. Some of these have already been shut down, while others will be pulled off app stores. The full list of games are as below:
- PetVille – Shut down December 30th
- Mafia Wars 2 – Shut down December 30th
- FishVille – Shut down December 5th
- Vampire Wars – Shut down December 5th
- Treasure Isle – Shut down December 5th
- Indiana Jones Adventure World – Closed to new players, shuts down January 14th
- Mafia Wars Shakedown – Pulled from app stores
- Forestville – Pulled from app stores
- Montopia – Shut down December 21st
- Mojitomo – Pulled from app stores
- Word Scramble Challenge – Pulled from app stores
The company has been hit hard financially in recent times, most notably due to its huge failure with its IPO, where it has plummeted close to 70% from its $10 IPO price last year. The culling of the 11 games were yet another step in its cost cutting measures, which has already seen over 100 employees laid off and the closing of two of its offices in the US.
As an olive branch to its players from certain culled games like PetVille, Zynga has put together a redeemable complimentary package of goodies in one of Zynga’s other active titles, such as FarmVille 2 and Mafia Wars.