Another child was surprised, to say the least, when their Yes Altitude 3 phone held in her hand suddenly caught on fire on Sunday morning. Her father, Mohd Afandi Ali, posted the incident on Facebook and the post has since gone viral. According to the post, the daughter received the phone under the Jaringan Prihatin programme and had been using it for only two months.
When we reached out, Afandi told us that his daughter had the phone in her hand when it suddenly started combusting. Luckily, she was not hurt as she immediately dropped the phone. Afandi and his wife were not home at the time but his eldest son was there to put out the fire, he said. He reiterated that the phone was not charging when the incident happened and that they’ve been using a Vivo charger with the original Yes charging cable because the original charger that came with the phone broke shortly after they received it.
“When the phone was dropped on the floor, it was spinning about like fireworks and burst into flames,” the father of five said.
The civil servant added that Yes representatives came to his house in Dungun, Terengganu yesterday to ascertain the cause of the fire but did not find anything conclusive at the time. Instead, they took the charred phone remains as a sample and reimbursed Afandi with a new Yes Altitude 4 smartphone.
The is the third instance of a Yes Altitude 3 being reported for spontaneous combustion. The first case happened during a child’s online class and similarly, the phone was not charging when the incident occurred. The second case differs from Afandi’s, in that the phone caught on fire while charging; in this instance though, a Vivo charger was also used and the victim was likewise compensated with a Yes Altitude 4.
Apa dah jadi ni?? Lagi sekali telefon pelajar meletup.
Dah banyak insiden telefon yang kerajaan edarkan ni meletup, tapi masih tidak ada apa-apa tindakan berat dibuat??
Paling tidak, tarik semula telefon ni dan ganti yang lebih berkualiti!
Kenapa lembap sangat nak bertindak?? pic.twitter.com/3Z3xi3dRHy
— Syed Saddiq (@SyedSaddiq) July 6, 2021
After the first two incidents were reported, YTL Communications, owner of Yes 4G, concluded from their investigations that the phones “did not explode” as the phones had undamaged screens. They also advised customers to only use the included charger and cable, despite the fact that the first incident happened while the phone was unplugged.
Lowyat.NET is reaching out to YTL Communications for comments on this matter.