We’ve made jokes about Disney’s global dominance when it comes to film — “Disney owns us all,” “Hail Mickey”, etc — especially after their acquisition of Fox. But only when we look at the global box office receipts does it really strike you just how dominant the House of Mouse is. As of this writing, there are 43 movies that have grossed $US 1 billion or more at the global box office. What’s crazy is 25 of those 46 movies are owned by Disney.
Here are the 25 Disney movies that have raked in more than $US 1 billion at the global box office:
- Avengers: Endgame [Marvel Studios] — $US 2.796 billion
- Avatar — $US 2.789 billion
*Film rights owned by Fox at the time of release.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens [Lucasfilm] — $US 2.06 billion
- Avengers: Infinity War [Marvel Studios] — $US 2.04 billion
- The Lion King (2019) — $US 1.56 billion
- Marvel’s The Avengers [Marvel Studios] — $US 1.51 billion
- Avengers: Age of Ultron [Marvel Studios] — $US 1.40 billion
- Black Panther [Marvel Studios] — $US 1.34 billion
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi [Lucasfilm] — $US 1.33 billion
- Frozen [Walt Disney Animation] — $US 1.27 billion
- Beauty and the Beast (2017) — $US 1.26 billion
- Incredibles 2 [Pixar] — $US 1.24 billion
- Iron Man 3 [Marvel Studios] — $US 1.21 billion
- Captain America: Civil War [Marvel Studios] — $US 1.15 billion
- Captain Marvel [Marvel Studios] — $US 1.12 billion
- Toy Story 3 [Pixar] — $US 1.06 billion
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest — $US 1.06 billion
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story [Lucasfilm] — $US 1.05 billion
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides — $US 1.04 billion
- Toy Story 4 [Pixar] — $US 1.04 billion
- Aladdin (2019) — $US 1.04 billion
- Finding Dory [Pixar] — $US 1.02 billion
- Star Wars: The Phantom Menace [Lucasfilm] — $US 1.02 billion
*Film rights owned by Fox at the time of release
- Alice in Wonderland (2010) — $US 1.02 billion
- Zootopia [Walt Disney Animation] — $US 1.02 billion
Let’s break down some of those numbers. Disney owns 25 out of the 43 movies that have grossed $US 1 billion or more which is a whopping 58%. The remaining 42% is split between Warner Bros, Universal, Paramount and Sony. Those numbers will only continue to skew towards Disney in the coming years.
To put things into perspective, sine 2018, there have only been three non-Disney films to gross more than $US 1 billion at the global box office — Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Universal), Aquaman (Warner Bros) and Spider-Man: Far From Home (Sony). On the flip side, there are already FIVE films owned by Disney that have grossed more than $US 1 billion and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker hasn’t even been released yet.
As of right now, there are five films that have raked in $US 2 billion or more at the global box office. Four out of five of those films are owned by Disney, though, admittedly Avatar wasn’t owned by Disney at the time of its release, but 20th Century Fox. Interestingly enough, even the third highest-grossing film of all time, Titanic ($US 2.18 billion) is partially owned by Disney — its North American rights is owned by Paramount, while Disney has the rights to distribute the film Internationally.
Eight of those 25 billion dollar Disney movies are produced by Marvel Studios — 32%. Four (16%) are Star Wars movies. There are also six animated features on the list, four of which are from Pixar (16%) and two are birthed by Walt Disney Animation.
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Telegram for more updates and breaking news.