It looks like news of Apple’s decision to end its partnership with Intel in the future has been more or less confirmed. A new report is now suggesting that the company from Cupertino won’t be giving Intel anymore of its business in the future, more specifically to Intel’s 5G modem chips.
To recap, news of Apple’s decision to end its partnership with Intel first surfaced earlier last week. The rumour suggested that Apple would be ditching Intel’s modem chips for its 2019 iPhone series, in favour of modem chips made by the Taiwanese semiconductor maker, MediaTek.
Intel’s 5G modem chip, known internally as “Sunny Peak”, was said to have combine 5G mobile connectivity together with the new Wi-Fi standard called WIGig, as well as Bluetooth support. It was due to debut on Apple’s iPhone lineup for the year 2020. In light of recent news, however, Intel has reportedly reassigned the team working on the modem towards its other internal projects.
Apple’s relationship with its partners can best be described as tumultuous. Despite being embroiled in a legal battle with Qualcomm, the latter is still set to provide its rival with at least 30% of its modem chip needs for this year’s batch of iPhones while Intel will cover the remaining 70%.