News as big as a smartphone exploding isn’t something that usually goes under the radar, but for some reason, a Samsung Galaxy Ace II X that exploded when the owner was sleeping went unreported since October. The phone wasn’t charging at the time, but a faulty battery was blamed as the cause of the incident.
Hope Casserly, the owner of the Samsung smartphone, heard a loud popping sound when she was asleep around 1.30am.
My back was to the phone and ah — I saw a light going across my shoulder, which would be the inside of the battery on fire. It hit the wall and fell onto my bed. I realised it was a fire and so I half sat up and put out the fire with my pillow … looked over and realized there was another fire and put that out with my pillow again and … turned on all the lights to see what happened.
The smartphone in question was then sent to Korea for further investigation. Samsung was quick to point out that the battery used in Casserly’s Galaxy Ace was not an “authorised battery,” but Casserly insisted that it was a genuine unit.
Casserly demands as much as CA$1,000 for her damaged mattress and bedding that caught on fire from the explosion. Although Samsung has agreed to her demand, she has yet to receive any form of monetary compensation from the company, other than a brand new replacement for her damaged Galaxy Ace.
The replacement is still in its original packaging, almost untouched by Casserly. She said that she is too afraid to use it out of fear that the same incident would occur again.