In a move to put them on part with their closes rivals – Apple and Samsung – Sony Mobile is considering to take a step away from the entry level market. The outfit is planning to reach that objective in two years’ time according to Stephen Sneeden, Sony Mobile’s product marketing marketing for Xperia in an interview with CNET Asia at CES 2013.
“We’re ready to be a premium smartphone provider, logically then, at the very entry level is where you lose the ‘Sonyness’. And it’s where you cannot implement some of these wonderful things from Sony at such a low cost, we might leave the very entry tier to some other manufacturers,” – Stephen Sneeden, Product Marketing Manager for Xperia, Sony Mobile.
The company will most probably continue to release mid-range devices with features and designs that spawn from flagship devices according to the needs of different markets. Nevertheless, Sneeden has stated that Sony Mobile “cannot compromise on the experience that the company is trying to show to the customer“, and lower-priced models still must have a “story to resonate“.
It is going to a bold move if Sony Mobile ultimately decides to go that route, to say the least. That being said, we will not be surprised if the company managed to pull it off though judging from its track record of continuously producing solid flagship products such as the newly announced Sony Xperia Z and ZL.
[Source: CNET Asia]
Syefri “Chapree” Zulkefli is an industry mainstay that has made his bones in the eSports, gaming and tech community for almost a decade.
Find us on Facebook
- Facebook’s New Security Partners to Help Eradicate Spam Posts - 48347 Views
- The Nokia N9: Is This the World’s Most Underrated Smartphone? - 33846 Views
- Update: The (Almost) Complete iPhone 5 Telco Price Comparison - 30403 Views
- Even at RM1799, the Nexus 4 is Still a Good Deal - 26311 Views
- Home: The New Facebook Experience For Android, Coming To Select Smartphones On April 12 - 23768 Views
- Why I Said the Rumoured Retail Price of the Nexus 4 is “Still a Good Deal” - 19604 Views
- Apple iPhone 5 To Arrive In Malaysia On December 14 - 19404 Views
Bill Gates says:RM 32,740 for a phone? That's cheap I'll buy a dozen!...
manx95 says:ok that is just crazy......
Shaddy says:How much is it approx?...
morpheus3929 says:"20Mbps on the Yes network." that's the biggest bullshit i've heard in...
acer Android Apple Asus Blackberry blackberry 10 Celcom Celcom Phone Bundle CES 2013 DiGi DiGi Phone Bundle Facebook Google HTC HTC One Huawei intel iOS iPad iPhone iPhone 5 Jolla Lenovo LG Lumia Malaysia Maxis Maxis Phone Bundle microsoft MWC Nexus 4 Nokia Nokia Lumia Phone Bundle Samsung samsung galaxy Sony Sony Mobile sony xperia windows windows 8 Windows Phone Windows Phone 8 WP8 Xperia