A South Korean woman was sleeping soundly on the floor at home when her robot vacuum cleaner decided to “turn on her.” For some reason, the vacuum cleaner thought that her hair needed some cleaning, and promptly sucked it up.
Needless to say, the 52-year-old woman had a pretty rude awakening. Once the vacuum cleaner stopped operating after a good minute or two, the woman immediately called the emergency number with a “desperate rescue plea.”
The paramedics eventually managed to free the woman from the problematic vacuum cleaner. Interestingly enough, the robot vacuum cleaner’s brand was not mentioned, but it had a nozzle with a roller inside, which undoubtedly made it harder to separate the woman’s hair from the machine.
Although the woman only escaped with minor injuries, it’s still quite surprising how the vacuum cleaner could have “malfunctioned” like so. The Changwon Fire Service Headquarters, however, presumed that the machine’s sensors merely identified the woman’s hair as “dust.” Ouch. Imagine how the woman must have felt to be told that.
As it is not uncommon for us Asians to sleep on the floor, it’s worth practising a little caution if you have one of these fancy vacuum cleaners running around the house; especially if you have a particularly long hair.