In a twist to the seemingly never-ending saga that is the Apple vs Samsung trial, Judge Lucy Koh has ruled that Samsung did not willfully infringe on Apple’s patents. Interestingly, the jury had ruled during the hearing that the Korean company did willfully infringe on five of seven design and utility patents that Apple holds, before Koh overruled the jury decision.
During the trial Samsung argued that the company believed Apple’s patents to be invalid, and therefore did not willfully infringe on the patents. This proved strong enough for Koh to overrule the jury’s decision, and also stated that Apple failed to show a ”objectively high likelihood that its [Samsung's] actions constituted infringement of a valid patent.”
Had Koh agreed with the jury’s decision, Samsung would have had to face a major headache: payment in damages would have gone up as much as three times the original $1.05b from the original hearing. However, that original penalty still stands – though both parties remain locked in appeals against the original judgment.
(Source: The Verge)
The latest addition to Lowyat.NET's family is a freshly-converted tech geek and footie fanatic who dabbles with the occasional game or two.
Find us on Facebook
- Facebook’s New Security Partners to Help Eradicate Spam Posts - 46137 Views
- The Nokia N9: Is This the World’s Most Underrated Smartphone? - 32385 Views
- Update: The (Almost) Complete iPhone 5 Telco Price Comparison - 29591 Views
- Even at RM1799, the Nexus 4 is Still a Good Deal - 25923 Views
- Home: The New Facebook Experience For Android, Coming To Select Smartphones On April 12 - 21830 Views
- Why I Said the Rumoured Retail Price of the Nexus 4 is “Still a Good Deal” - 19262 Views
- Apple iPhone 5 To Arrive In Malaysia On December 14 - 19163 Views
kamikraze says:In nokia page hardware spec state no dual sim, but in the...
Celcom user says:Today is 18th of May 2013..but there is still no news about...
trollnino says:s4 ? oops outdate...
acer Android Apple Asus bb10 Blackberry blackberry 10 Celcom CES 2013 DiGi DiGi Phone Bundle Facebook Google HTC HTC One Huawei iOS iPad iPhone iPhone 5 Jolla Lenovo LG Lumia Lumia 920 Malaysia Maxis Maxis Phone Bundle microsoft MWC Nexus 4 Nokia Nokia Lumia Phone Bundle Samsung samsung galaxy Sony Sony Mobile sony xperia windows windows 8 Windows Phone Windows Phone 8 WP8 Xperia