Earlier today, reports began flying in that Intel had fallen victim to a breach attack. Unfortunately for Intel, the aftermath of the attack is that a 20GB folder, containing a figurative ton of its intellectual property (IP), is now out in the wild.
The folder, titled “Intel exconfidential Lake Platform Release” was picked up by a Swiss IT consultant by the name of Till Kottmann. Kottmann said that he discovered the folder being passed around through a file sharing service, with the person sharing it saying that the folder contained a sizable chunk of Intel’s inner workings and plans.
Tom’s Hardware has already verified that the folder does exist, although it is still trying to determine all of IPs stored with the folder. At a glance, however, most of the IPs listed definitely seem to be consistent with the title of the folder. Below are just some of the confirmed titles:
- Intel ME Bringup guides + (flash) tooling + samples for various platforms
- Kabylake (Purley Platform) BIOS Reference Code and Sample Code + Initialization code (some of it as exported git repos with full history)
- Intel CEFDK (Consumer Electronics Firmware Development Kit (Bootloader stuff)) SOURCES
- Silicon / FSP source code packages for various platforms
- Various Intel Development and Debugging Tools
- Simics Simulation for Rocket Lake S and potentially other platforms
- Various roadmaps and other documents
- Binaries for Camera drivers Intel made for SpaceX
- Schematics, Docs, Tools + Firmware for the unreleased Tiger Lake platform
- Intel Trace Hub + decoder files for various Intel ME versions
- Elkhart Lake Silicon Reference and Platform Sample Code
Intel itself has confirmed that the folder itself contains details and plans that are found from the Intel Resource and Design Centre. A website that the semiconductor created to provide its partners with NDA documentation for the purpose of product integration. Further, there are now reports stating that several of the files marked with NDA license agreements to Centerm Information Co. Ltd. A company based in China.