It was a dark day for the gaming industry two days ago, as THQ’s ailing financial status resulted in a auction of its assets. Most of its games and production studios were auctioned off, with bidders such as Sega, Ubisoft and Crytek getting pretty good deals for titles and IPs such as “Company of Heroes” and “Homefront”. However, the clear beneficiary in the sale of THQ’s assets appear to be little-known Koch Media, who successfully won bids for the popular “Saints Row” and “Metro” series.
The company, founded back in 1989, initially filed for bankruptcy in late December 2012, after a series of disappointing big-budget games. Some of THQ’s more popular games include the “Saints Row” and “Company of Heroes” franchise, as well as “Darksiders”, “Homefront” and “Metro 2033″, which also has a sequel in the works, to be called “Metro: Last Light”. Its popular “Humble Bundle” pack – where popular THQ titles were sold a steep discounts, with the proceeds going to charity – also gained quite a following.
In the aftermath of the auction, THQ’s CEO Brian Farrell and President Jason Rubin sent an email to all of its employees informing them of the results of the auction, and thanked them for their “imaginative, creative, artistic and highly valued” work. Yesterday, the company held its last meeting.
The latest addition to Lowyat.NET's family is a freshly-converted tech geek and footie fanatic who dabbles with the occasional game or two.
Find us on Facebook
- Facebook’s New Security Partners to Help Eradicate Spam Posts - 46553 Views
- The Nokia N9: Is This the World’s Most Underrated Smartphone? - 32655 Views
- Update: The (Almost) Complete iPhone 5 Telco Price Comparison - 29764 Views
- Even at RM1799, the Nexus 4 is Still a Good Deal - 25982 Views
- Home: The New Facebook Experience For Android, Coming To Select Smartphones On April 12 - 22347 Views
- Why I Said the Rumoured Retail Price of the Nexus 4 is “Still a Good Deal” - 19328 Views
- Apple iPhone 5 To Arrive In Malaysia On December 14 - 19207 Views
Chief Chapree says:Brick, Celcom user: No updates from Celcom guys as of today. Clearly...
acer Android Apple Asus bb10 Blackberry blackberry 10 Celcom CES 2013 DiGi DiGi Phone Bundle Facebook Google HTC HTC One Huawei iOS iPad iPhone iPhone 5 Jolla Lenovo LG Lumia Lumia 920 Malaysia Maxis Maxis Phone Bundle microsoft MWC Nexus 4 Nokia Nokia Lumia Phone Bundle Samsung samsung galaxy Sony Sony Mobile sony xperia windows windows 8 Windows Phone Windows Phone 8 WP8 Xperia