A classic case of too little, too soon?
Two days ago, fresh from the recent positive response from its IE10 browser’s marketing campaign, the company perhaps went a little dizzy with confidence when drawing up the plans for Windows Phone 8’s campaign. Given that Windows Phone 8 is very much in its infancy, with very few users, and has a pretty bad reputation from its Windows Phone 7 days (which is a little unfair), it was rather foolhardy for them to go to Twitter to get an ill-advised hashtag to trend.
It began with a simple tweet from the official Windows Phone account to ask Twitter users to share their Android malware horror story. That in itself was rather confusing, since Android users in general face more issues with performance than with malware. Perhaps the tweet was implying the Android Play Store’s lax screening process, or in the bigger picture, the open-sourced nature of the operating system itself. But by then hashtagging #DroidRage and virtually requesting users to get it trending, Microsoft probably stepped over the line, and users were quick to respond.
To their credit, the hashtag may have gotten trending for a while, but not for the reasons the company were looking for. Replies were mostly sarcastic, similar in the style of replies we sometimes see in our forums. GSMarena did unearth a gem, though:
The latest addition to Lowyat.NET's family is a freshly-converted tech geek and footie fanatic who dabbles with the occasional game or two.
Find us on Facebook
- Facebook’s New Security Partners to Help Eradicate Spam Posts - 47128 Views
- The Nokia N9: Is This the World’s Most Underrated Smartphone? - 33085 Views
- Update: The (Almost) Complete iPhone 5 Telco Price Comparison - 29998 Views
- Even at RM1799, the Nexus 4 is Still a Good Deal - 26087 Views
- Home: The New Facebook Experience For Android, Coming To Select Smartphones On April 12 - 23265 Views
- Why I Said the Rumoured Retail Price of the Nexus 4 is “Still a Good Deal” - 19448 Views
- Apple iPhone 5 To Arrive In Malaysia On December 14 - 19275 Views
zork says:how about 1tb of cloud storage instead??...
Chief Chapree says:As mentioned in the article, not at this moment....
acer Android Apple Asus Blackberry blackberry 10 Celcom Celcom Phone Bundle CES 2013 DiGi DiGi Phone Bundle Facebook Google HTC HTC One Huawei intel iOS iPad iPhone iPhone 5 Jolla Lenovo LG Lumia Malaysia Maxis Maxis Phone Bundle microsoft MWC Nexus 4 Nokia Nokia Lumia Phone Bundle Samsung samsung galaxy Sony Sony Mobile sony xperia windows windows 8 Windows Phone Windows Phone 8 WP8 Xperia