Smartphones are becoming more and more prominent in our lives, so it’s no surprise that 49% of Malaysians surf the Internet more on smartphones rather than computers. Even more surprisingly, 35% of Malaysians only access the web on smartphones alone. These findings come from a study done by Google Malaysia, which aims to study the mobile usage of Malaysians, among other things.
One of the more prominent finding of this study is the fact that over 10 million Malaysians are 3G subscribers, not to mention that 51% of adults in Malaysia use a smartphone. These would explain why so many of us are surfing the web on a smartphone, as it is, after all, much more accessible than a computer. That being said, the fact that 35% of Malaysians surf the web only on smartphones is pretty surprising.
When it comes to searching the web, computers and laptops only account for 36% of searches in Malaysia. On the other hand, a whopping 64% of web searches were done on mobile devices, where mobile phones make up 52% of it while the remaining 12% were tablets.
Google Malaysia conducted this study from July to August of 2014. While these findings aren’t exactly the most recent data, it does paint a picture of Malaysians’ mobile usage behaviour. With so many Malaysians already on mobile devices, it’s even more important now for websites and businesses to optimise their sites for the mobile platform.