After taking over at the top of the mobile food chain, Samsung is shifting its sights on the emerging market. The Korean company has announced a new range of budget phones called Rex, which looks to go directly up against the successful Nokia Asha range – which previously had no real competitor in its price bracket.
Right off the bat, Samsung has announced four new Rex devices: the Rex 60, 70, 80 and 90. All Rex devices run on a Java-based OS with the company’s watered-down TouchWiz Lite UI, which should give a touch of familiarity to those used to seeing Samsung’s Android offerings. And, just like Nokia’s data-compressing Xpress browser, all Rex devices will have the Opera Mini browser pre-installed.
However, the trump card for these Rex devices against Asha could be the fact that all Rex phones are dual-SIM devices and equipped with WiFi. In contrast, only the latest Asha, the Asha 310, has both hot-swapping dual SIM and WiFi featured together. Others, like the Asha 305, 306, 308, 309 and 311 all only have either dual-SIM or WiFi connectivities.
Interestingly, Samsung has not announced any launch dates for the Rex range, although the timing of the announcement could mean we could be seeing them during the upcoming Mobile World Congress next week.
Find out more about the Samsung Rex devices here.
(Source: The Verge)
The latest addition to Lowyat.NET's family is a freshly-converted tech geek and footie fanatic who dabbles with the occasional game or two.
Find us on Facebook
- Facebook’s New Security Partners to Help Eradicate Spam Posts - 47977 Views
- The Nokia N9: Is This the World’s Most Underrated Smartphone? - 33631 Views
- Update: The (Almost) Complete iPhone 5 Telco Price Comparison - 30307 Views
- Even at RM1799, the Nexus 4 is Still a Good Deal - 26222 Views
- Home: The New Facebook Experience For Android, Coming To Select Smartphones On April 12 - 23559 Views
- Why I Said the Rumoured Retail Price of the Nexus 4 is “Still a Good Deal” - 19569 Views
- Apple iPhone 5 To Arrive In Malaysia On December 14 - 19360 Views
Bill Gates says:RM 32,740 for a phone? That's cheap I'll buy a dozen!...
manx95 says:ok that is just crazy......
dont play play says:dong play play!!! this is james bond phone!! water proof, fire proof, bullet...
acer Android Apple Asus Blackberry blackberry 10 Celcom Celcom Phone Bundle CES 2013 DiGi DiGi Phone Bundle Facebook Google HTC HTC One Huawei intel iOS iPad iPhone iPhone 5 Jolla Lenovo LG Lumia Malaysia Maxis Maxis Phone Bundle microsoft MWC Nexus 4 Nokia Nokia Lumia Phone Bundle Samsung samsung galaxy Sony Sony Mobile sony xperia windows windows 8 Windows Phone Windows Phone 8 WP8 Xperia