As mentioned earlier, Qualcomm has announced two new Snapdragon processor series that are expected to power numerous premium and high-end mobile devices respectively later this year. One of them is the new Snapdragon 800 series processors which are currently the most advance processor series that the company has created
Among features that are available within the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 series processors are:
- Quad-core Krait 400 CPU with clock speed of up to 2.3 GHz per core.
- Adreno 330 GPU that offers 2 times better compute performance than Adreno 320.
- Support for 2 x 32-bit LPDDR3 RAM at 800MHz with memory bandwidth of 12.8GBps.
- Support for 4G LTE Cat 4 150Mbps and 802.11ac 1Gbps connectivity.
- Support for UltraHD (4096×2304 resolution, also known as 4K) capture, playback and display at 30fps.
- Support for DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus and 7.1 surround sound.
- Dual Image Signal Processors for Qualcomm Snapdragon Camera, with support for computational camera
- Overall performance boost of up to 75% better performance than the Snapdragon S4 Pro.
Qualcomm has stated that the Snapdragon 800 series processors will not only appeared in future smartphones and tablets but also Smart TVs and digital media adapters. On another hand, the other new processor by Qualcomm – Snapdragon 600 – is not too shabby as well with features such as:
- Quad-core Krait 300 CPU, with clock speed of up to 1.9 GHz.
- Speed enhanced Adreno 320 GPU
- Support for LPDDR3 RAM
- Overall performance boost of up to 40% better performance than the Snapdragon S4 Pro processor.
With more than 50 combined design wins for both series of processors, expect to see quite a number of products running on either Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 or 600 processors soon enough. That being said, we do wonder at what price point that these devices are going to be especially considering the fact that they are going to be high-end and premium devices.
[Image: Qualcomm's Twitter]
Syefri “Chapree” Zulkefli is an industry mainstay that has made his bones in the eSports, gaming and tech community for almost a decade.
Find us on Facebook
- Home: The New Facebook Experience For Android, Coming To Select Smartphones On April 125,278 views
- The Nokia N9: Is This the World’s Most Underrated Smartphone?2,725 views
- Coming of Age: iOS7 Points the Way to the Future of Mobile Innovation2,247 views
- Lowyat.TV: Hands On With iOS 7 – A Preview Of Things To Come1,949 views
- Malaysia Telco Price Comparison: Samsung Galaxy S41,899 views